Monday, September 16, 2013

Natural & Safe Cleaners

I forgot to take a "before" photo, her collar
wasn't nearly this orange to begin with!


For Nylon Collars
I tried this method once with Coal's leather collar and I'm pretty sure that was a terrible idea. The vinegar dried it right out, so I recommend only using it on nylon or fabric collars!

 You Will Need:

  •  vinegar
  •   baking soda
  •   warm/hot water
  •   a bowl large enough to submerge your collar(s) in

I don't measure the ingredients, but I'd say it's about 1 part vinegar and 5 parts water with about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of baking soda (depending on how soiled your collars are).

Fill bowl with water and vinegar. Submerge collar. Sprinkle with baking soda and watch it sizzle away! Soak for 10 minutes - 1 hr, it all depends on how dirty your collars are. Soaking for longer won't hurt the collar (in my experience).
Rinse and repeat if necessary, otherwise let dry and enjoy!


Refresh The Bed Without Washing
I usually take the slip cover off and wash it in the washing machine. However, I was running a lot in the wash that day and decided I'd see if a similar method I read for human mattresses would work for the dog bed too.

You Will Need:

  • dog bed
  • vacuum
  • baking soda
  • vacuum brush head attachment or a stiff bristle brush
  • essential oil of your choice (optional)
 Vacuum as much loose dog hair off the bed as you can. Sprinkle baking soda over bed evenly. Add a few drops over the bed of your choice of essential oil - make sure to check that it's safe for your pet! Use the vacuum attachment (as I did) or a stiff bristle brush to gently work the baking soda into an even coat over the entire bed. Let sit for 20 minutes - 1 hr. Use a power-head vacuum to remove the baking soda from deep within the bed. Let the dog enjoy!

I would recommend you still wash the slip cover from your dogs bed, but this is an easy way to remove odors between washing!

No comments:

Post a Comment