Monday, May 6, 2013

Happy Pig Organic Farm

Getting the best for everyone in the family!


On Friday, May 3rd, my mother, sister, nephew and I traveled 638km (in total, there and back) to Smithers, British Columbia, stayed the night, then turned around and went to Topley, B.C. where this adorable organic farm is. Happy Pig Organic Farm is a certified organic farm.


The trip was a bit slow going with a 3 month old in the car with us, but considering we were traveling with a 3 month old it went pretty well!

We stayed the night in Smithers before heading to the farm in Topley. Pigs, cows, goats, alpacas, turkeys, chickens and a very happy black Labrador Retriever who met us with an orange Kong to throw! Marlene and her two boys showed us a bit around the farm and talked to us about how they raise their animals vs farms that are not certified organic.

We met with the pigs, who were all quite friendly and of course, happy!




One story I really enjoyed was about how the pigs root up the land and pull out rocks and other little treasures they find and then stack them in piles! (see photo left/above).

Once the pigs have dug up all the rocks and worked the land they're rotated to a different pasture where they continue to dig up and stack rocks and oddities they find there.


Unit: is this for me?!
 I did not place an order for any organic meat for our family, simply because of the price. Buying scraps for the dogs was a lot cheaper than it would have been buying meat for us!

40lbs of meat I'd ordered and it only cost me $90! Of course, that's not counting travel expenses, but since there was three of us going to get orders we were able to cut down on costs (plus my mother is extremely generous and loves paying for stuff for us!).





They've had the chance to try kidney and tongue because of this order, and will also get to try some heart too!

Organs are hard for me to come by around here, other than liver, so I was pretty excited about that!




It was kind of sad knowing that these cute little pigs and other animals around the farm would be sentenced to death from birth, I also felt good knowing I was supporting an organic farm that treats it's animals well as opposed to a commercial one that uses pesticides, vaccinations and growth hormones, and some the animals live in very poor conditions! I had some comfort knowing they did get to live happy little pig lives before being slaughtered for consumption.

These guys were indeed, Happy Pigs! 





No comments:

Post a Comment