Monday, March 11, 2013

Introduction

I have debated creating a separate blog specifically for Raw Feeding for a while now. I often post under the Dog Blog but finally decided that this topic deserved it's own blog. You can find my previous Health and Nutrition posts on the Dog Blog Archive, but from now on all Raw Feeding posts will be made here!

I'd also decided that as a part of this blog I would be posting more about my cat(s). Meet Jarokko Rootwo. He is about 2 years old and loves to hunt. he also loves to share his hunts with us, which we do not quite appreciate. Jarokko is a superb bird hunter.

Our other cat (not pictured) is Polly. She is roughly 14 years old and I don't really write about her often. She is my boyfriend's cat, and switching her to raw is something I sometimes dread and part of the reason I have not fully switched the cats yet. Polly is extremely picky and addicted to kitty crack (kibble). Not just any kitty crack, but I have to buy her a specific brand and flavor or she will turn her nose up at it. I have never seen her hunt mice or birds either. Switching her, I'm sure, will pose a great challenge.

The other reason I have not yet switched the cats is because a cat's diet is a little more complicated than a dogs. Cats are obligate carnivores. They do not thrive or require any types of vegetables, fruits or grains.

Cats also do not manufacture taurine on their own.  Before the 1980's no one knew this and cat food manufacturers were not adding taurine to the cat food. Cats began dying of a heart condition called cardiomyopathy until 1987, when researchers discovered the omission and started adding the taurine to cat food. [1]

The last reason why I have not yet switched my cats to a full raw diet is because of money. Yes, I and many other raw feeders, will tell you that raw food is not any more expensive than store bought kibble, IF you know where to get it. I live in a small town where the grocery stores are far too over priced and getting free range and humanely treated meat at a fair price can be a task in it's own to feed ourselves, never mind the animals too! Feeding the dogs sometimes costs a bit extra if the usual, cheaper meats aren't available and I have yet to figure out a method of storing, packaging and buying in large quantities that is saving me time and money. So until I do, I'm afraid our kitties will be eating kitty crack a little while longer.


While I will also stress that my animals are carnivores, I DO feed a very small amount of fruits and veggies (but never grains). Some fruits and veggies have a bit of added nutrition my dogs can benefit from, and I do not see the harm in occasionally feeding one of these items to make sure they are getting a wide range of nutrition, especially, as explained above, when a variety of meats isn't always available. However, the majority of their meals consist of bone, meat and organs.

Meet The Dogs

Coal (right) is 10 years old, he is a Labrador Retriever x Border Collie and was switched to raw when he was 9 years old. I wouldn't call him picky, but he is more selective in what he'll eat than Unit.

I decided to finally switch Coal, even though it's something I'd considered since he was a puppy, when it became clear that there was no other suitable diet for Unit and I figured if I was going to switch one dog I'd better switch both. I was a little worried about switching Coal, since he is older and has had a lot of years eating over processed and poor quality foods, but the switch was fairly easy on him and he will now actually turn his nose up at kibble! He knows what the good stuff is!

Patrol Unit 7245 (left) is approximately 3 - 4 years old and is a pit bull cross god knows how many other breeds! She will eat anything she can get a hold of, there is not much she won't eat. However, there is a lot she SHOULDN'T eat! Unit has Seborrhea Oleosa, triggered by severe allergies. This means the list of what she can eat is very small and makes it extremely hard to always find her low-cost meat and especially hard to even out the ratio of bones to meat that she eats.

7 comments:

  1. Hi :D Oh i really like your page it is really looking good :)

    I think you will find that once the cats are on the raw food it isn't that difficult to keep it balanced. You need a minimum of 3 protein sources(Chicken, rabbit, fisk or lamb to name a few). wild or free-range are the best choices but if you are unable to get that you just need to make sure you vary the meat more(maybe 4 or 5 sources instead of only).
    I was worried about this as well so i had a chat with Raw Essentials and they wrote this to me:
    "As a rule of thumb, and to satisfy evolutionary requirements, we suggest aiming for prey sources which you could reasonably imagine cats hunting in the wild. We find that beef meat, with its high histidine levels, can be irritant in some cats and dogs. It may be just fine for your two - it is worth keeping a basic food diary and noting any signs of itchy skin, upset tummys etc to help you identify whether there are any tolerance issues.

    If they are getting organ meat and some rabbit stomach, they should be fine. We find that the majority of cats are not keen on tripe too. If they have any particular health concerns and you feel they may benefit from an antioxidant boost, you can add a sprinkle of something like Quantam Greens to their food. If they are healthy and happy though, the organs and stomach should suffice."

    I will be make some post about the chat with them soon :)
    I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment and information! :)

    Unit would greatly benefit from rabbit and duck but I haven't been able to find it anywhere :( I have found rabbit but it's like $15 for one little rabbit! A couple family members and I are going to be making a trip to a wonderful farm in April to pick up a large meat order so I am hoping I can stock up on a better variety then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like it's going to be a great trip! :D
      I really want to be able to do large meat orders but only have 1 small freezer with 2 drawers :O
      The apartment just isn't big enough for a larger freezer. My parents live 5 min away(in a large house) so I have been allowed to borrow some freezer space there, but still I can't just go around taking all there freezer space for my cats :P

      My Dad really wants to come over and see Aidan eat a mouse.. hehe.. but he doesn't want to be the one to feed it to him :P

      Delete
    2. Our deep freeze is not very big, I'm constantly reorganizing it to try and make our food and the dog food fit. Recently I've been storing containers in the small freezer for the week, and the rest of it goes in the deep freeze, but I haven't bought enough in bulk for a while due to being a bit poor LOL

      I'm fascinated by them eating raw food... it just feels so, natural! Jarokko caught a bird on the weekend and mascaraed it at our back door (thanks Jark!). Instead of shooing him away I got my camera out lol (above photo of him is from that ;) ). I've found people are generally interested and want to see the dogs eat at least once, but usually they don't ask to see it a second time LOL

      Delete
  3. Haha! Yes the little carnivores are messy eaters!
    Just feed mine a dayold chicken out on the grass. I had tied a string around its neck and was dragging it around. Aidan was on fire! Then when he got the string out of my hand he tried to take his "prey" with him back inside the house XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That's too cute! We have lots of snow still so I don't think I'll really do that any time soon lol

      Delete
    2. It just started snowing again today... Weather keeps changing from sunny to snow, when we have just gotten rid of all the snow and the grass/trees start to get some green shine it starts to snow again. typical :P

      Delete